The Manager, Product Development, based in Lynchburg, VA at our Fleet Laboratories location, reports to the Director, Product Development, based in Tarrytown, NY (headquarters of Prestige Consumer Healthcare). Under the direction and guidance of the Director, s/he leads a team of scientists who are focused on bringing technical new product development (NPD) that includes new and improved healthcare products, to market in line with a defined product strategy and cross-functional gate review process. Product categories include cosmetics, OTC drugs, medical devices, and dietary supplements.
- Work closely with key cross-functional teams that include commercial marketing, manufacturing, quality assurance, regulatory, medical and packaging to advance NPD initiatives successfully through the product development process.
- Work with cross-functional team(s) to develop and define clear target product profiles (project briefs)
- Deliver project development milestones and objectives
- Liaise and influence the appropriate functions, colleagues, and external resources to ensure completion of all activities to plan
- Complete project/product specifications, support data and generation of technical dossiers in timely fashion
- Develop sound commercial knowledge and relationships with cross-functional teams and suppliers to ensure responsiveness to business needs.
- Coordinate product and processes development, production scale up, stability testing and validation of new or improved products as required.
- Coordinate third party claims testing & clinical trials, working with regulatory to ensure solid support for product claims.
- Recruit team members when needed to ensure strengthening of the bench.
- Set objectives, conduct performance reviews and advise on the development of his/her team members to enable them to achieve their full potential.
- Ensure that all development activities within the team conform to requirements in the legislative, regulatory, safety and environmental areas.
- Ensure that facilities and processes are operated with a prioritization to quality and safety and also to the required standards of good manufacturing and laboratory practice.
- Ensure that all work performed is subject to the scrutiny of internal and external auditors.
- BS/BA degree in a related science required, advanced degree preferred (MS or PhD) and 8+ years' experience; or equivalent combination of experience and training with a BS/BA degree
- R&D experience working in relevant categories such as cosmetics, OTC drugs, medical devices, dietary supplements
- Minimum of 5 years of experience supervising scientific or engineering teams
- Results oriented, entrepreneurial and self-motivated, with solid planning and organizational capabilities, a bias for action, and the capability to define, evaluate and take risks
- Proven track record of successful delivery of technical projects and collaboration with across functional teams
- Strong formulation expertise and understanding of the chemistry of raw materials & chemical interactions
- Strong understanding of the product development process from concept ideation to launch
- Experience with and understanding of formulation science and the basic methodologies used to develop and support product claims
- Strong analytical and project management skills with the ability to think strategically, develop tactics and measurable implementation plans
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Proven ability to display a degree of flexibility and adapt effectively to change
- Good leadership with strong interpersonal and communication skills to nurture teamwork and foster an environment of achievement
Essential Physical Functions: Mostly sedentary, sitting most of the time. Average ordinary visual acuity needed to prepare and inspect reports, experiments, charts and tables. Average hearing and speaking ability to carry on normal conversations. Average dexterity to manipulate scientific instruments and use keyboard.
Equipment Used: R&D lab and scale up equipment