This position, reporting to the VP of Operations & Manufacturing (GM of Fleet Labs in Lynchburg) with a dotted line to the VP of HR (Prestige Headquarters in New York) acts as an internal consultant to plant management in leading the people side of change in order to deliver bottom-line results and employee effectiveness. This person will identify, measure and apply long-term strategies to achieve positive business outcomes and organizational needs; and to develop, implement and manage state-of-art talent acquisition and retention tools. The role serves as a key resource with respect to employee and leadership development as well as in-house expert in recruitment, selection and general HR administration.
Major Employee Development Responsibilities
- Analyze employment trends at the facility to identify areas of opportunity for change and make recommendations to the VP of Operations & Manufacturing for improvement and implement practices or processes as approved. Areas of opportunity may include, but are not limited to, labor hour management, workforce planning, workforce scheduling, job design, or training and development.
- Provide guidance, advice and coaching to plant leadership at all levels and to project teams on issues related to organization design, workforce planning, organization culture, employee behavior, change management, change leadership and all organization development activities to support business strategy and change initiatives.
- Develop effective and ongoing employee communication strategies to ensure that employees understand and buy into the company's policies, practices, benefits, organization development activities, and values.
- Expand the capacity of individuals to perform in leadership roles within organizations and to develop new leaders from the employee pool by facilitating the execution of the company's strategy, building alignment, winning mindshare and growing the capabilities of others.
- Respond to employee and manager requests for assistance on issues relating to policy interpretation, employee conflict, employment law, benefit administration, and other areas managed by the human resources function.
- Measure and enhance employee engagement by daily contact with plant personnel, survey instruments and engagement activities. Provide engagement feedback to management.
Major Talent Acquisition & Retention Responsibilities
- Develop and manage latest talent acquisition strategies, techniques and tools to provide quality candidates for all exempt and non-exempt positions; screen candidates, schedule interviews, and complete all other pre-employment requirements including the review of background check results in accordance with established company policy.
- Create relationships and develop programs for acquiring talent from local colleges and universities, including apprenticeship and internship programs.
General HR Administration
- Provide oversight to an HR Coordinator in administering employee programs, policies and benefits.
- Oversee the accurate and timely recording of employee personal and employment data, and maintain this information securely with appropriate protections for personal identification information.
- Review salary benchmarking studies/surveys and conduct wage analysis to assure equity and consistency within the organization.
- Align manpower planning within budgetary controls.
- Build and maintain successful working relationships with corporate HR function, college and community organizations, HR professional associations, facility managers, employees, and corporate support functions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in human resources, organizational leadership, industrial psychology, or related field or equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities acquired through working.
- Seven or more years of HR Generalist practice, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Direct leadership experience of other HR professionals and/or administrative support personnel.
- Demonstrated effectiveness with business partners, senior management and other employees.
- Working knowledge of Federal, state, and local employment laws, and HR best practices.
- Group presentation skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing, with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to influence decision-makers.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES and REQUIREMENTS of THIS POSITION
- Experience designing and leading organization transformation or leadership projects for purposes such as reorganizations, product/service realignments and mergers and acquisitions
- Ability to work with, communicate and influence senior leaders
- Verbal Communication: especially where one must frequently convey detailed or important instructions or ideas
- Average Hearing: Able to hear average or normal conversations, receive ordinary information, and communicate by phone.
- Average Visual Abilities: average, ordinary, visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products, or operate office machinery.
- Physical Strength: Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. Lifting file storage boxes up to 20 lbs., bending, moving, and reaching.
- Work Environment: primarily office environment, and frequent movement to and from factory areas
- Ability to work on computer using keyboard and answer telephone.
- Travel: Occasional travel required. Ability and licensed to drive an automobile. Ability to travel by automobile, rail or plane.